Vector marine charts
i-Boating, one of the most downloaded marine navigation app and a popular destination website for fishing maps, includes advanced features found in high end plotters. In this tutorial I discuss how to use it for route editing
Creating routes manually
- Tap on menu/overflow button (on lower right for iPhone, Its top right on Android) and select “New Route”
- This would show show route editing controls at the top. The route editing control is initially in pan mode.
- Tapping on the center button(it looks like ad directed route) would switch it to route creation mode.
- Tap on “New Point” to drop a route point that you would follow in succession. (Some people like to call it as way point). If you want to create a point that is not exactly on route but a navigation aid, use “DropMarker/Pin” (second button from left).
- When you are done creating the route, tap on “Save Button” to save route
You can export any routes as compressed GPX files.
- Tap on Route Manager in the action bar.
- For Recorded Tracks tap on your Recorded Tracks -> Days -> Select specific tracks.
- Tap menu/overflow button on top right and select “Share”.
Import GPX Files
- To import compressed GPX files, just tap on the email attachment and select open in “i-Boating”.
- To import from SDCard tap on Route Manager -> Import GPX….
Edit/Move Existing Route Point
Tap on the point you wish to move/edit. This will show a context menu with following options:
- Add point prior
- Add point after