I came across a very strange issue with Skype recently – Sometimes it would fail to log in completely, and sometimes it would come up with a skype disk I/O error.
Of course I checked the health of the hard drive first, assuming that some bad sectors could be causing this – but no, the hard drive had 100% health, no disk errors in the event log either, so I ruled that one out.
I turned to Google and found this support article from the Skype website:
This article suggested removing the Skype data folder from within Appdata – apparently this folder can sometimes become corrupted. Beware because removing this folder will delete chat logs and other user data from Skype.
Running Skype again recreates this folder with its default entries, but in my case it still did not resolve the issue. It did however get me looking at appdata folder.
- This everyday laptop is powered by an Intel...
- Enjoy videos or browse online on a 14" HD display...
In this particular setup, the appdata folder was being redirected to a server via group policy, and I had a feeling that it was the cause of the issue – I/O errors told me that skype was having trouble reading the data folder – and if not for faulty hardware, then perhaps because it didnt like reading and writing to it over a network link.
Rather than remote the redirection of appdata, I decided to try and relocate the skype data folder, and sure enough, I found a guide within skype communities on doing so.
Basically I had to create a brand new skype shortcut, and use the following format:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /datapath:"c:\skype" /removable
Once I used that shortcut, skype moved all of the user data to c:\skype, and it worked without any issues at all.